If you’re hosting an outdoor get-together for the 4th of July, fresh summer berries are the perfect treat. Both festive and delicious, this Old Glory Cherry-Blueberry Pie will delight guests young and old.
5 cups fresh sweet, dark cherries, rinsed and pitted, or frozen pitted cherries (see notes)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained, or frozen blueberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix cherries with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. In a smaller bowl, mix blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Combine sugar and cornstarch; gently stir 1 cup of the mixture into cherries and 1/4 cup into blueberries.
2. Spoon cherry mixture over 3/4 of the pastry in pan, leaving 1 quadrant free. Spoon blueberry mixture into unfilled area. Scatter butter evenly over fruit.
3. Top filling with stars and stripes as directed for flag pastry. Set pie in a foil-lined 13- by 17-inch baking pan.
4. Bake on the bottom rack of a 400° regular or convection oven until fruit is bubbling in the center and pastry is well browned, about 1 hour. If pastry edges brown too quickly (check after 40 minutes), cover loosely with foil.
5. Let pie cool on a rack at least 3 hours; let stand at room temperature up to 8 hours. Cut into wedges and serve with ice cream, if desired.
Note: If using fresh cherries, buy about 1 3/4 pound; if using frozen, you’ll need about 1 1/2 packages, 16 ounces each.
From Sunset July 2001
Belgard has long been the leading manufacturer in the hardscapes industry, driving outdoor living trends and setting the bars for product quality and industry expertise. We strive to be your go-to resource for inspiration and information on designing, living in and loving outdoor living spaces.
Architects and Specifiers, visit our commercial site