- Labor can run as much as 2-3 times material costs.
- Work with your contractor to determine when payments are due.
- Research online what typical projects in your area cost.
- Ask neighbors and friends about their projects to get additional cost ideas.
- Get quotes from multiple contractors, but don’t always choose the lowest bid. Selection factors also include trust, craftsmanship and professionalism.
- Bigger projects will cost more to install. A fireplace will be significantly more expensive than a fire pit as it requires compliance with specific construction and engineering codes, as well as additional materials.
- Linear designs that require less cutting and fewer pieces will be less expensive to install than circular or intricate patterns.
- Leveling your land can be costly, so consider building into the slope with a terraced design.
- Research various materials costs online, including cost-effective options.
- Consider planning the project in phases to meet your budget. Make sure the contractor knows about future phases so the space can be prepped for future footings or utilities. Your contractor can also discuss how best to phase the project both from a cost standpoint and with regard to your lifestyle. Proper planning now can save considerable costs and time down the road.
- Ask about financing options. Belgard Authorized Contractors have access to Belgard Preferred Payment® same-as-cash financing, which may allow you to take advantage of construction efficiencies and avoid having to build in phases.
TYPICAL PROJECT TIMELINE
RESEARCH & PLANNING PHASE: 4 - 6 WEEKS
- Consider how you will use the space.
- Examine styles and colors that work with your house or landscape.
- Get inspiration online.
- Research approval requirements for your municipality or HOA.
- Set a budget.
CONTRACTOR SELECTION PHASE: 2 - 3 WEEKS
- Contact at least 2-3 contractors to discuss your project.
- Review contractor credentials, portfolio and references.
- Ask for designs/renderings of your project. Note that some contractors charge a fee for the design. Belgard Design Studio renderings are free of charge for Belgard Authorized Contractors.
- Check contractor availability and confirm it aligns with your timeframe.
- Sign a contract, secure any financing, and schedule the project.
INSTALLATION PHASE: 2 - 12 WEEKS
- Time of the installation will vary depending on the scope of the project.
- Check with the contractor to ensure that the materials ordered have arrived and are accurate.
- Inform neighbors about the construction timeline.
- Connect with your contractor throughout the project to ensure it is progressing as planned.
- Do a final walk-through with your contactor to make sure you’re satisfied with the workmanship.
POST-INSTALLATION PHASE: 4 WEEKS - 6 MONTHS
- Make arrangements with your contractor to return and seal pavers. This is an important step, as it will protect your investment by guarding against stains, fading, and the joint deterioration that can be cause by weeds or insects. Keep in mind that the joints will need time to cure, and the weather conditions must be favorable.
- Do not pay the contractor for the sealant portion of the job until the work is completed.
- Go online to register your lifetime warranty.
- Have sealant reapplied to your pavers every 3 to 5 years to enhance durability.