With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we wanted to share a recipe we love, Chocolate Raspberry Shortcakes. These are a great treat to make whether it’s for your other half, your kids, or even just for yourself!
About 2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) cold butter
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 cups fresh raspberries
Vanilla crème fraîche or lightly sweetened whipped cream
1. In a food processor or bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whirl or mix until blended.
2. Cut butter into 1/2-inch chunks and add to flour mixture. Whirl, cut in with a pastry blender, or rub in with your fingers until mixture forms fine crumbs; pour into a bowl if using processor.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with buttermilk to blend; add to flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured board and, with lightly floured hands, knead just until it comes together. Pat out to about 1 1/4 inches thick. With a 3-inch round cutter, cut out shortcakes; gather dough scraps and pat out again as necessary to make all six shortcakes. Set 2 inches apart on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet.
5. Bake on the middle rack in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until tops look dry and feel firm when pressed, about 25 minutes. Transfer shortcakes to a rack and let cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, rinse raspberries. In a blender or food processor, whirl half the berries with the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar until smooth. Press through a fine strainer into a bowl; discard residue.
7. To assemble shortcakes, slice each in half horizontally; set bottoms on plates. Spoon vanilla crème fraîche over bottoms, top with remaining berries, and drizzle with raspberry sauce. Place shortcake tops over berries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
From Sunset June 2002
Belgard has long been the leading manufacturer in the hardscapes industry, driving outdoor living trends and setting the bars for product quality and industry expertise. We strive to be your go-to resource for inspiration and information on designing, living in and loving outdoor living spaces.
Architects and Specifiers, visit our commercial site