Select Your Contractor
Selecting the right contractor is a critical decision. Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions. It’s important that you build a relationship and work together as a team to create your ideal outdoor living space. You may also want to communicate some of this information to neighbors who may be inconvenienced by your project.
WHAT TO ASK
- Inquire about QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE, including specialized certifications and training from industry organizations (see the checklist below).
- Ask for CUSTOMER REFERENCES and to see photos of past projects.
- Ask about SUBCONTRACTED SERVICES like landscaping, plumbing, irrigation and lighting. Will they handle this or will you need to?
- Inquire about MAINTENANCE and whether they offer a program to clean and reseal pavers, which should ideally be done every three to five years.
- Ask about if they cover any DAMAGES to your landscape or if you need to do it.
- Get a complete understanding of PAYMENT TERMS and TURNAROUND, which will include estimated start and completion dates.
- Inquire about ACCESS NEEDS to the area where the work will be done.
- Be sure the contractor can provide PROOF OF INSURANCE and is willing to guarantee workmanship for at least a year after installation.