Long-Term Care & Maintenance
Even though Belgard® pavers are extremely durable and come with a lifetime structural warranty, seasonal maintenance is encouraged to preserve the beauty and integrity of your hardscape installation. To keep pavers looking their best, plan to clean and reseal them every three to five years.
- Clean your pavers each Spring with a coarse-bristle "stable" broom and a paver cleaner to keep them looking like new.
- Some weeds, if left unaddressed, can shift pavers apart over time. Be sure to periodically apply a granular weed preventative between joints as a part of your paver maintenance routine.
- Be careful when cleaning your Belgard pavers with power washers as the force of the spray can expose the aggregate under the paver's surface.
- Wait at least 90 days to seal your pavers so you can remove any efflorescence that might appear after installation.
- Before applying any paver cleaning solution to your hardscape, test a small inconspicuous area first to be sure you get the desired results.
- Be sure to read and follow the directions printed on container labels for cleaning solution use, application, precautions and first aid. Always rinse the solution off thoroughly after use.
- In the event of an oil spill, act to remove it promptly with granular oil absorbent. Spills should be soaked up, not rubbed. Rubbing will drive the stain deeper into the concrete.
- De-icing substances, when used in proper amounts, should not damage pavers; however, they may accelerate surface wear on some paver styles. Use them in moderation.
- Sealers should not be applied more than once in three years, to a maximum of two applications. Too many applications will create a film on the surface, which may discolor in sunlight.
- The joints between paving stones are the most vulnerable areas of any installation. Keep these joints topped off with jointing sand to prevent the sand-bedding layer below from deteriorating, causing the pavers to shift.
Part of the Oldcastle® family of architectural products, Techniseal has been a world leader in the field of jointing sand and paver maintenance products for over 30 years. Inventors of the polymeric sand category, Techniseal has long been the preferred jointing material used with installations of Belgard pavers. In addition, Techniseal offers a number of cleaning and sealing products to ensure the lasting beauty of your Belgard installation for years to come.