Don’t let the cold weather discourage you from enjoying your outdoor space this winter — all you need is a few blankets and a tasty beverage to keep you warm. This Mulled Wine recipe is one of our favorite remedies for frosty nights. Enjoy!
- 1 large orange
- Seeds from 8 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 to 9 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 bottles (750 ml. each) dry red wine
- ¼ cup orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Thin orange slices (optional)
- With a vegetable peeler, pare 8 thin strips zest (4 in. by ½ in.) from orange. Juice orange, and reserve juice.
- Wrap cardamom, coriander seeds and ginger in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine.
- In a nonreactive saucepan, crush orange zest and 7 tablespoons sugar with a wooden spoon to release oils from zest. Add reserved orange juice, wine, and spice packet. Cover and bring to a simmer over high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 30 minutes. Discard spice packet and orange zest.
- To serve, heat wine, covered, over medium heat just until steaming. If you like, stir in liqueur and more sugar to taste. Ladle into heatproof glasses. Garnish with thin orange slices.