Breakfast will never be the same again after you try this recipe for Grilled French Toast Kebabs. A fun twist on a classic, these kebabs are a quick and easy treat you can make on the grill.
1 loaf (1 lb.) day-old pain au levain
3/4 cup whole milk
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple or berry syrup
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Soak 12 wooden skewers (10 to 12 in.) in water to cover for 20 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium (350°).
2. Cut enough bread into 1-in. chunks, including some crust on each, to make 2 qts; save extra for other uses.
3. Whisk milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend. Mix in bread to coat, then thread onto skewers.
4. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and an oiled wad of paper towels. Grill skewers, covered, until browned, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Serve with butter and syrup and dust with powdered sugar if you like.
From Sunset June 2010