Are you ready for some football?! Pull out the jerseys and giant fingers because football season is here and what better way to kick off the season than by preparing this homemade dip for you and your friends. This zesty recipe is perfect if you want to stay home in front of the big screen or bring a dish to a tailgate. It’s easy and it will want those football fans craving for more! Plus, the ingredients are a healthy contrast to all those spicy wings!
Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole
* 1 or 2 fresh Jalapeños, stems removed, and chiles halved and seeded
* 1/2 medium white onion, peeled
* 1 garlic clove, peeled
* 1 tomatillo, papery skin removed
* 1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
* At least 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
* At least 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a large, unoiled frying pan over medium heat, pan-roast the Jalapeños, onion, garlic, and tomatillo on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes total.
2. In a blender, whirl the vegetables with 1/4 cup water until blended but still chunky. Add avocado and lime juice; pulse until blended. Add cilantro and salt, pulse to combine, and add more salt and/or lime juice to taste.
For all you spicy eaters, think about adding more of an intense flavor to your homemade guacamole with the addition of pan-roasted jalapeño peppers and roasted tomatillos. It will have you on fire!
Makes 1 1/2 cups but plan to make a lot more for those fans! 30 minutes from fridge to plate.
From Sunset Magazine recipes July 2006.